Founding date: 1698
See on Google Maps!
Cotton New Works appears between Coconut Hall and Crabbs near to The Narrows. An old picture exists showing the estate mill, works with chimney and the estate house. The mill is unusual because it was made of wood. Many of the buildings appear run down though there is still signs of activity with a bullock cart full of sugar cane, a horse and cart and workers in the background. It was often referred to as “New Works” whereas Cotton Garden was the “Old Works” or the Garden.
Enslaved People’s History
Based on contemporary research, we have little information to share about the enslaved peoples from this plantation at this time. We only know that the 137 enslaved people working on this estate in 1829 were all freed for the sum of £2,078 1 s 7 d by the British government after their abolition of slavery. However, we will continue our quest for more information about these vital individuals.
Legacies of the British Slave-owners: Antigua 332 Cotton (St. Peter’s) was awarded £2,078 1 s 7 d for 137 enslaved. The only awardee was Sir Christopher Bethel-Codrington Bart.
Part of the Codrington Estates.