Founding date: 1878
See on Google Maps!
There is no longer a mill at this site. In 1921 this estate contained 103 acres. Cattle were also raised.
Estate Related History/Timeline
1895: When James Maginley died he was a very wealthy man who owned Glebe House in Killukin, Ireland along with several plantations on the island of Antigua. Burke’s (#133) estate, Cedar Hill (#74) in the parish of St. George, Sanderson’s (#86) in the parish of St. Peter, Long Lane (#107) in the parish of St. Paul, Comfort Hall (#103) in the parish of St. Paul and Lavington’s Frye’s (#157 ) in the parish of St. Paul. James Maginley had two daughters Annie Letitia (Holbrow) and Isabella Maud (Thomas) and one son John William Arthur. On his death while residing at Burkes estate, his properties and wealth in Antigua were divided among his three children, but his Killukin House and lands were left to his son. History of The Glebe House, Killukin, Ireland.
John J. Camacho, reputedly the richest man in Antigua, was an ex-Grammar School Boy, Chief Justice Camacho of British Guiana and later Chief Justice of the British Caribbean Islands, was an old boy of the AGS.
The 1951 Syndicate minutes refer to the Ffrye’s house as being in bad repair. It was demolished and the materials recovered to fix up the Ranger’s house. It is not certain if it was this estate or referring to Ffrye’s (#118) in between Dead Sands and Ffrye’s Bay.
It appears many of the old estate houses were beyond repair and were either sold ‘as is’ for whatever materials could be gained from it being demolished, or materials used to fix up other houses on the estates.
Enslaved People’s History
Based on contemporary research, we have little information to share about the enslaved peoples from this plantation at this time. We will continue our quest for more information about these vital individuals.
Ownership from 1878 Charles J. Manning
- 1891: Henry Elliot
- 1921: John J. Camacho
- 1933: Mrs. M.T. Camacho
- 1945: Antigua Syndicate Estates, Ltd.
- 1967: Antigua Government – Crown Land